Western Garden Cities
Western Garden Cities: 1951 – 1965
The area Western Garden Cities is the most famous elaboration of the Algemeen Uitbreidingsplan AUP (General Expansion Plan) of Amsterdam. The urban development plan was developed between 1934 and 1958. The Second World War caused a delay in the implementation of the plan. The first garden city to be built was Slotermeer. The first pile went into the ground there in 1951. This was followed by the construction of the garden cities Geuzenveld, Slotervaart, Overtoomse Veld and Osdorp. Construction of the entire area Western Garden Cities was completed in 1965.
Each neighbourhood or district got its own shops, schools, churches, lots of greenery and playgrounds. These invite you to meet and relax. And the facilities offer residents a great deal of independence from the old city center. The idea of providing each district with these facilities stems from the garden city idea that the district functions as an independent unit. The buildings are mixed: medium-high buildings (up to 4 floors), single-family homes and special housing types such as retirement homes and villas alternate. And high-rise buildings provide ‘striking points’ between the low-rise buildings.
All this, of course, optimally oriented with respect to the sun. The credo was light, air and space. Through traffic is separated from living; along main roads shops are planned and as few houses as possible. Work also played an important role in the expansion plan. From offices in the neighbourhood and light industry on designated areas to heavy work in the Western Docklands.